Friday, July 26, 2013

What Have I Been Doing?

Short Answer. 

So some people may know I actually cancelled my WoW sub a few months ago. I meant for it to be a temporary thing while I had some financial stuff going on but by week two or three I was in a position to restart and choose not to. I haven't lost interest in Warcraft completely. I bought the newest novel Shadow of the Horde and will be reading it soon and I am still holding out for Hearthstone though any hope of it coming out anytime soon is becoming a pipe dream.

So what have I been doing?

The news around Hearthstone rekindled a small flame - my love for card games. A cursory Google search of my handle will let anyone know in my teenage years I was big into trading card games. Big. Like Yu-Gi-Oh! primarily filled all of my time and I was a mid-level judge and at one point ranked high in tournaments. During the height of my playing that game I was introduced by a card shop buddy to Magic: The Gathering. Of course I had heard of it all the way back in the Pokemon days when Wizards of the Coast made both card games but I had never played it (as I never really 'played' Pokemon either, but all the little kids of my generation collected them). Unfortunately I couldn't split into two card games at once and it as merely a year or so later that my involvement in card games dwindled anyway. 

I was searching actually for cheap used Gameboy Yu-Gi-Oh! games to fill my card needs and found out that they actually made a series of cheap Magic games - Duels of the Planeswalkers - that was an easy entry point as you unlocked preconstructed decks instead of having to buy virtual packs like in Magic Online. I immediately bought the 2013 version and spent 100+ hours in it. I preordered and am now playing the 2014 version. I might post some about that or get some YouTube content out, I don't know yet, but I do know that I've caught the card bug again and I don't know how long it'll be before I cycle back into MMOs.

---

  You can reach me here in the comments, on Twitter @formerruling, and on my YouTube channel FormerRuling



2 comments:

  1. Yup! That's where I'm spending near all of my gaming time too on magic2014 DotP. You are always welcome to drop by my new site (magicthegatheringhelper.blogspot.com) and do a guest post. I just wish we could play duels cross platform in magic2014 cuz looks like I can only play other iOS users since I play on iPad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cross platform play would be the best update the game got, but they'd have to fix the easy cheating in Steam. I hope they eventually patch that, like maybe when they do the expac or something.

      Delete